ASTR Provider Competency Levels
1. Preferred Provider: provider is utilizing the entire ASTR model. We believe utilizing the entire model is the best approach to achieving fast pain relief with long lasting effects.
- Completed ASTR online course and ACN online course. Watched all of the instructional videos or attended ASTR course in person.
- Passed all of the tests for both ASTR online and ACN courses.
- Completed certification process for both ASTR online course and ACN online course.
- Attended the physical class for ASTR course or completed private training session online for ASTR course. Completed private training session for ACN.
- Implements the entire biopsychosocial model in their treatment including: scar tissue, fascia restriction, trigger points, muscles spasms, ergonomics, gait, exercise, nutrition, inflammation, stress management, and behavior modification. Must provide proof of this.
- Provides ASTR supplements as part of the nutrition protocol.
- Implements the entire inflammation protocol in their practice.
2. Entry Level Provider: All entry level providers are being phased out to ensure the highest quality of care for patients
- Provider isn’t implementing the entire model of care
- Completed the online class or attended ASTR course in person.
Dr. Joseph Jacobs, DPT, ASTRs, ACN
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Advanced Clinical Nutritionist
Inventor of ASTR
Address: 23672 Birtcher Dr Suite B, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Doctor of Physical Therapy, Inventor of ASTR
Advanced Soft Tissue Release Specialist (Inventor) Doctor Joseph Jacobs is a cancer survivor. He used to suffer from chronic migraines, headaches, fatigue and pain before he invented Advanced Soft Tissue Release (ASTR) speciality. He holds a doctorate of physical therapy degree from Dominican College in New York and a bachelor’s degree concentrated in hotel & restaurant management from Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey. Dr. Jacobs began researching and developing his new specialty to treat patients’ pain more effectively than methods he had learned in school. From 2011 to 2016 he continued to develop the maneuvers, tools, and methodologies that ASTR is composed of, and he continues to refine the elements of ASTR through ongoing research. Advanced Soft Tissue Release (ASTR) has been registered by the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Techniques and instruments Doctor Jacobs has invented include:
- Advanced Soft Tissue Release (Patented)
- Tension Release TechniqueTM
- ASTR® Instruments I, II, III, IV, V, and VI (Patented)
- Fascia ScaleTM
- Fibrosis (Scar) ScaleTM
- Trigger Point ScaleTM
- Muscle Spasm ScaleTM
- Mind Body ReleaseTM
Dr. Jacobs’ life ambition is to continuously develop and research new instruments, theories, and methodologies that revolutionize the medical industry in order to more quickly and effectively alleviate pain. Dr. Jacobs spends on average 2 hours daily researching and developing new solutions. Current clients already believe that his techniques give immediate, long-lasting relief, so he is well on his way! immediate, long-lasting relief, so he is well on his way! Dr. Jacobs continue to spread his knowledge and research by teaching doctors and healthcare providers worldwide through a variety of platforms, including speaking in TedX Talks and being featured in several magazines. From celebrities to high profile politicians and professional athletes, Dr. Jacobs is trusted to offer long-term pain relief and effective ASTR therapy to patients from around the globe. Dr. Jacobs strongly believes in ongoing education and has read books and taken classes in the following subjects:
- Functional Medicine
- Myofascial Release
- Muscle Energy Technique (MET)
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Joint Mobilization (including Mulligan Concept)
- Trigger Point Release
- Primal Reflex Release Technique (PRRT)
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF)
- Neuromuscular reeducation
- Connective Tissue Mobilzation
- Cranioscaral Release
- Fascial distortion
- Visceral Mobilization
- Bowen Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Emotional Freedom Technique
- Talk Therapy
- And much more
Dr. Jacobs is the father of young twins, Gabriel and Lily. He enjoys playing the guitar and piano, spending time with his dog, Luna, and hiking with his wife, Lindsay. He is also an active member of a local church.