Soft tissue surrounds, connects, and supports bones, structures, and organs of the body.
Soft Tissues Include:
- Tendons (connect muscles to bones)
- Ligaments (connect bone to bone)
- Fascia (connective layer that wraps around the entire body, including muscles and organs)
- Fibrous Tissues
- Synovial Membranes (compose joint capsules)
- Muscles (contractile elements)
- Nerves (connect the body to the brain)
- Blood Vessels (transports blood, oxygen, and nutrients throughout the body)
Soft Tissue Dysfunctions
When these soft tissues are not working as they should, it can lead to the following types of dysfunctions:
- Scar Tissue (Fibrosis): Scar tissue places excessive pressure on surrounding muscles, blood vessels, nerves, bones, and organs. This can cause pain and/or limit a joint’s range of motion. With ASTR’s Tools, scar tissue can be painlessly and efficiently released, relieving pain and restoring range of motion.
- Fascia Restriction: Similar to the way Spiderman’s suit hugs his body, fascia is strong, connective tissue that wraps our bodies from head to toe. Normally, fascia is elastic and able to stretch and shorten in response to the body’s movements. Accidents, traumas, surgeries, scar tissue, stress, poor posture, and poor body mechanics can decrease the fascia’s elasticity resulting in pain and a limited range of motion.
- Trigger Points & Muscle Spasms: Trigger points are palpable knots in the muscle tissue. Their presence can cause pain and muscle shortening or muscle spasms.
- Joint Displacement: All of the joints in our bodies have a normal alignment, describing how two adjacent bones are positioned and move in relation to one another. Joint displacement refers to any deviation in that normal alignment. Restriction in soft tissue can often cause a joint to become displaced. This can be extremely painful and can place a lot of stress on the joint and surrounding structures.
These types of dysfunctions are commonly seen in jaw pain, sciatica, arthritis, headaches, neck and back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, bursitis, and many more conditions!
How ASTR Treats Soft Tissue Dysfunction
Advanced Soft Tissue Release (abbreviated as ASTR) is a new manual therapy specialty that is revolutionizing the way patients experience long-term pain relief. ASTR treats pain in a gentle, effective, and natural way by releasing scar tissue, trigger points, and fascia restriction. ASTR’s patented tools assist in releasing soft tissue, and ASTR clinicians are trained in effective techniques that do not cause additional pain or stress to the patient’s body. Learn how ASTR can help you or watch testimonial videos from patients who experienced pain relief through ASTR treatment.