Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Bruxism): Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
What Is Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Bruxism?
Temporomandibular joint bruxism is found on both sides of the jaw and holds the upper and lower together allowing for movement. TMJ bruxism will experience pain on the joint areas and may also find it difficult to move their jaw. These individuals can grind and clench their jaw with out being aware of it. To prevent damage to the teeth people wear mouth guards or splints to prevent grinding, clenching, and TMJ burxism. Some individuals find pain subsides with use of splint or mouthguard but will return without use. Long term TMJ bruxism are long term teeth clenching or grinding, injury, infection, or arthritis.
Causes of TMJ Bruxism
- Anxiety, stress, anger, or frustration
- Being tense
- Personality type agressive, competitive, hyperactive
- Alignment of upper jaw and lower jaw is abnormal
- Sleep apnea
TMJ Bruxism Symptoms
- Clenching or grinding of the teeth
- Flattened, fractured, chipped or loose teeth
- Jaw or face pain or soreness
- Jaw muscle tiredness or tightness
- Earache or headache
- Bite marks on tongue
- Damage of the inside of cheeks due to chewing or biting
TMJ Bruxism Treatment
ASTR treats TMJ bruxism in a gentle, effective, and natural way by addressing muscle imbalances, scar tissue, trigger points, fascia restrictions, inflammation, posture, body mechanics which are often the source of the pain. ASTR takes a holistic approach to address the root causes of pain, not just the symptoms. ASTR treatment can be done at home for TMJ bruxism.
TMJ Bruxism Home Treatment
ASTR Exceptionally Different
Reviews collected from various websites