Muscle & Joint Pain: Symptoms, Types, Healing Cycle & Treatment
What is Disease?
A disease is referred to the state in which the human function deviates from the normal human physiology and biomedical standards, requiring medical intervention. 
What is Muscle and Joint Pain?
Muscle and joint pain affects the muscles and joints respectively. The pain impairs the mobility of an individual and hinders routine activities. The pain may be acute with severe and sudden onset, or chronic which is a long-term condition. 
Types of Muscle and Joint Pain That Are Treatable At Home
Different types of muscle and joint that can be treated at home are listed below.
- Jaw pain (temporomandibular joint)
- Headache and migraine
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Elbow pain
- Hand and wrist pain (carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Back and hip pain (sciatica)
- Knee pain
- Foot and ankle pain
Normal Healing Cycle
Proper understanding of the normal healing cycle is a prerequisite to treating and eliminating the root cause of a disease. The healing cycle grows less efficient as a person grows older. Chronic conditions are described as the wound undergoing back and forth between the inflammation and proliferation stages. The three stages of the normal healing cycle are given as follows.
The initial phase of inflammation is characterized by vasoconstriction and the activation of the coagulation pathways in order to minimize bleeding. Afterward, vasodilation occurs and delivers the inflammation cells to the site of the wound. The process is marked by the release of inflammatory mediators that produce the 5 cardinal signs of inflammation – pain (dolor), increased temperature (calor), swelling (tumor), redness (rubor), and loss of function.
In this stage of the wound healing cycle, the formation of new structures take place. Fibroblasts produce collagen and glycosaminoglycans to provide a scaffold for the healing wound. Epithelial layers start to form again and new blood vessels develop to support the growing structures. This stage is characterized by the formation of scar tissue, spasm in the injured muscle, fascial restrictions, and formation of trigger points. The trigger points or muscle knots limit the range of motion of the muscle and elicit pain as the nerves are compressed or irritated.
This is the final stage of the healing cycle and takes up to months and years to complete. The wound contracts and the excess collagen fibers undergo degradation. The final scar retains 80% of the original tensile strength of the wound. 
The healing process is congruent to the car tune-up. It involves multiple processes that occur simultaneously and are targeted towards the best performance in either of the cases.
Current Treatments That Are Ineffective
Various treatment techniques are used at homes to alleviate joint and muscle pain. However, these treatments do not complement the normal healing cycle and do not eliminate the underlying cause of the disease. These techniques only provide temporary pain relief.
- Application of heat and ice – temporary pain relief
- Electrical stimulation (Estim) – temporary pain relief
- Foam roller – does not break the deeper scar tissue and is ineffective for long term pain relief
- Massage – does not break the deeper scar tissue and is ineffective for long term pain relief
- Joint mobilization – may further aggravate inflammation
- Stretching – worsens the muscle injury and inflammation
- Strength exercises – if performed during the first stage of the healing cycle, it causes internal inflammation
How to Treat the Root Cause of the Problem?
Advanced Soft Tissue Release (ASTR) ‘inflammation protocols’ are beneficial for the inflammatory stage and breaking the vicious healing cycle, particularly in chronic conditions. The protocols to combat inflammation are given as follows.
MagnaHeal is a device made of neodymium, a rare-earth magnet, and anti-inflammatory substances that coat the magnetic surface. MagnaHeal utilizes magnetic fields to accelerate the healing process and reduce inflammation. MagnaHeal 1 is primarily used for treating mild inflammation has a magnetic force length of 2 inches. On the contrary, MagnaHeal 2 is useful for treating moderate to severe inflammation. It has an adjustable belt to be used anywhere on the body and a relatively greater magnetic force length of 3 inches. This means that the MagnaHeal 2 can exert anti-inflammatory effects three inches deeper than the skin surface. Magnetic fields are known for increasing cellular metabolism and energy consumption which stimulates the regenerative and healing mechanisms in the body. The magnetic field has soothing effects on the body, alleviates pain, and also reduces muscle tension. 
Pro-inflammatory foods such as refined carbohydrates, gluten, trans fatty acids, saturated fatty acids, red meat, dairy products, and solanine-containing vegetables (tomato, eggplant, and potato) induce internal inflammation which causes great harm to the body. In contrast to that, an anti-inflammatory diet contains omega-6 fatty acids, antioxidants, phytochemicals, flavonoids, ginger, turmeric, green tea, legumes, black pepper, and fruits containing bromelain and papain (papaya, mango, and pineapple). This diet is essential for preventing and treating internal inflammation. 
ASTR’s ‘instruments and maneuvers’ are used for modulating the proliferation stage of the healing cycle. The stage is subdivided into three categories – scar tissue release, trigger point release, and fascia release.
- Scar tissue and trigger point release are often performed simultaneously as the trigger points and scar tissue are deeply associated. A3 is referred to as the Trigger Point/Scar Tissue Release Tool has different surfaces to be used at different places on the body. The tool is used for breaking the superficial scar tissue and trigger points. For deeper scar tissues and trigger points, A5 or Trigger Point/Deep Scar Tissue Release Tool is used. A5 tool can penetrate and mechanically stimulate the deeper areas and release muscle knots and scar tissue in these areas.
- Fascia release is often overlooked by healthcare providers and has significant consequences on muscle and joint pain. Fascial restrictions lead to entrapment of different structures, limit the range of motion, and cause radiculopathy. The normal fascia that encloses the muscle is comprised of superficial and deep fascia. While superficial fascia is one layer, the deep fascia is composed of four layers; aponeurosis, epimysium (encloses the entire muscle), perimysium (encloses a bundle of muscle fibers), and endomysium (encloses a single muscle fiber). Each of these five fascial layers is further composed of sublayers. In fascial restriction, these layers adhere together and are hard to identify. A1 Fascia Release Tool is used for treating superficial and aponeurotic fascial restrictions. A5 Fascia Release Tool is used when the fascial restriction occurs deeper in the epimysium, perimysium, and endomysium layers. 
How to Stop Joint and Muscle Pain at Home?
Different ASTR packages are designed on the basis of the intensity of pain, for treating joint and muscle pain at home.
Mild Pain Package
This package caters to the pain level 0-3/10, which mostly occurs in the proliferation stage of the healing cycle. The components of this package are MagnaHeal 1, A1, A3, and A5 Release Tools. The package contains complete information about the step-wise treatment of mild inflammation at the comfort of home.
Moderate Pain Package
This package is for those individuals who suffer from a moderate level of inflammation and categorize their pain as 4-6/10. This package includes A1, A3, and A5 Release Tools as well as MagnaHeal 2 with a stronger magnetic field and greater magnetic force-length to reduce moderate inflammation.
Severe Pain Package
This package is made for people who suffer from severe muscle and joint injury, reporting pain at the level of 7-10/10. This indicates that the body lacks adequate healing potential and is deficient in nutrients that are required for wound healing. The package consists of A1, A3, and A5 Release Tools. This is further complemented by the addition of ASTR supplements such as Collagen Active, K2 & D3, Magnesium Active, and Infla-Ease.
Muscle and joint injury lead to pain and inflammation, which requires simultaneous treatment modalities to resolve. ASTR tools and supplements are designed to restore the normal wound healing cycle, release scar tissue, trigger points, fascial restrictions, and relieve joint and muscle pain. The packages are designed according to each individual’s pain level and contain the appropriate tools and guiding manual for use at home.
- Amzat J, Razum O. Health, Disease, and Illness as Conceptual Tools. Medical Sociology in Africa. 2014 Feb 28:21–37. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-03986-2_2. PMCID: PMC7120775.
- Puntillo F, Giglio M, Paladini A, Perchiazzi G, Viswanath O, Urits I, Sabbà C, Varrassi G, Brienza N. Pathophysiology of musculoskeletal pain: a narrative review. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2021 Feb 26;13:1759720X21995067. doi: 10.1177/1759720X21995067. PMID: 33737965; PMCID: PMC7934019.
- Wallace HA, Basehore BM, Zito PM. Wound Healing Phases. [Updated 2021 Nov 15]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470443/
- Zwolińska J, Gąsior M, Śnieżek E, Kwolek A. The use of magnetic fields in treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Review of the literature. Reumatologia. 2016;54(4):201-206. doi: 10.5114/reum.2016.62475. Epub 2016 Oct 5. PMID: 27826175; PMCID: PMC5090029.
- Bustamante MF, Agustín-Perez M, Cedola F, Coras R, Narasimhan R, Golshan S, Guma M. Design of an anti-inflammatory diet (ITIS diet) for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2020 Jan 21;17:100524. doi: 10.1016/j.conctc.2020.100524. PMID: 32025586; PMCID: PMC6997513.
- Gatt A, Agarwal S, Zito PM. Anatomy, Fascia Layers. [Updated 2021 Jul 26]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK526038/
Muscle & Joint Pain Relief At Home
ASTR Exceptionally Different
Reviews collected from various websites